- India’s rise in global migration started in 2020 when it overtook China as the leading source of migrants to OECD countries.
- This trend continued into 2021, making it the second consecutive year that India held the top position with 0.41 million new migrants.
- Preliminary data indicates that India maintained its leading position in 2022, emphasizing its substantial impact on global migration trends.
OECD: A Magnet for Migrants
- The OECD consists of 38 member countries, mainly affluent developed nations that attract migrants and students.
- India has maintained its position as the primary source of new citizens in OECD countries since 2019, despite a 15 percent decrease in recent years compared to 2019.